THE TOP 10 FERTILITY SUPPLEMENTS
Did you know there are specific nutrients that can help improve and support our fertility. Studies have shown that certain vitamins can improve fertility in both men and women and are essential to maintain healthy sperm production and ovulation. At Angea Acupuncture & Yoga we believe these are our Top 10.
1. Royal Jelly: Royal Jelly is rich in amino acids, lipids, sugars, vitamins and, most importantly proteins. It has been shown to improve egg quality and balance hormones. Royal Jelly should only be taken during natural conception.
2. CoQ10: is contained in every cell in the human body and one of its many functions is to promote good blood circulation. It may also improve blood flow, enrich the endometrium, improve fertilisation rates and improve egg and sperm quality and production.
3. B Vitamins: B vitamins help reduce our stress levels and are important for embryonic development.
4. Folic Acid is also a B Vitamin and is important in fetal development as it dramatically lowers the risk of neural tube defects (spina bifida).
5. Vitamin E: is an important antioxidant for reproduction and fertility. Research has shown it can improve the overall health of men’s sperm and in women can increase overall egg health. It has also been shown to increase the endometrial lining, which creates a receptive environment for implantation. The thickness of lining needs to be between 7-13mm.
6. Magnesium: improves fertilisation rates. Supports progesterone production and increases the blood supply to the uterus.
7. Selenium: helps protect against birth defects and miscarriage and is also important for egg production.
8. Zinc: is an important trace mineral for both men and women. In women, itpromotes cell formation and is vital for hormone production and implantation. It plays a vital role in cell division. For males, zinc is necessary for making the outer membrane and tail of the sperm and for sperm to mature properly.
9. DHA: Helps form body tissue and is essential for brain development in a fetus.
10. Essential fatty Acids (EFA): There are three types of essential fatty acids. Omega 3, Omega 6 & Omega 9. For fertility we want to choose Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids as they are essential to the body. Choose a supplement with a balance of Omega 3 & Omega 6. Omega 3 is crucial for healthy regulation of hormones throughout the body. It also improves blood flow to the reproductive organs. Omega 6 assists fertility by improving reproductive cell division. This is the most important supplement after the prenatal multivitamin. Ideally, women should take EFA’s for at least three months before they conceive.