What are IVF Alternatives when it comes to conception? Acupuncture is the insertion of fine, sterile needles into the skin. Acupuncture improves the body’s functions and promotes natural self-healing by stimulating specific anatomical sites, commonly referred to as acupuncture points.
Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on the ancient philosophy that describes the universe, and the body, in terms of two opposing forces: yin and yang. When these forces are in balance, the body is healthy. Energy, called “qi” (chi) flows along specific pathways, called meridians, throughout the body. This constant flow of energy keeps the yin and yang forces balanced and in Western Medicine we describe this balance as homeostasis.
Acupuncture initiates the body’s natural healing response through various physiological systems. Modern research has demonstrated acupuncture’s effects on the nervous, endocrine, reproductive, immune, cardiovascular and digestive systems. By stimulating specific acupuncture points, acupuncture can help to resolve pain, improve sleep, digestive function, enhance fertility, conception and promote well-being.
Acupuncture for IVF has gained recent growth & popularity worldwide as an adjunct treatment to support IVF. Recent studies show that acupuncture can increase a woman’s IVF success rate by 65 percent. Acupuncture works by stimulating the flow of blood to the uterus, making the lining of your womb more receptive to the implantation of an embryo.
A 2008 review of several studies has shown that women who choose fertility acupuncture to support the IVF process are 65% more likely to develop a successful embryo. And those successful embryos are 91% more likely to develop into beautiful, happy and healthy babies. Now recognized by the World Health Organisation as an effective treatment for infertility, we explore how acupuncture can assist and support you during your IVF cycle.
Acupuncture works in several ways to increase the likelihood of the fertilization rate and pregnancy outcome, including increasing sperm count and motility, improving uterine health and reducing the risk of miscarriage.
“Recent studies show that acupuncture can increase a woman’s IVF success rate by 65 percent”.
Acupuncture and IVF
In conjunction with in-vitro fertilisation (IVF), acupuncture may help:
- Regulate hormones: Acupuncture helps regulate your hormones by increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs thereby dramatically improving a woman’s response to hormonal therapy. Women’s hormones must fall within a desired range to continue with treatment.
- Increase number of follicles and improve egg quality: Obtaining good quality eggs is the most important factor and desired outcome. Specific points help stimulate your ovaries and build your endometrial lining.
- Increase chances of implantation: Acupuncture helps create a receptive environment for the embryo to implant. It moderates cyclooxygenase (prostaglandin enzyme) and prostaglandin levels in the uterus, reducing uterine motility and inflammation to improve implantation rates. As mentioned above, it increases your chances of falling pregnant by 65 percent.
- Relieve stress: Acupuncture has been shown to increase the release of beta-endorphins, the ‘happy hormones’ in the blood, thereby reducing stress levels and a hyperactive sympathetic nervous system. Think “rest and nest”.
- Regulate the menses: It works by regulating your hormones and menstrual cycle. Controlling irregular menstruation can enable you to better predict the time of ovulation.
- Increase uterine lining: It increases blood flow to the uterus, resulting in a thicker, healthier uterine lining. At Angea we have seen dramatic improvements with acupuncture and herbal therapy in treating thin endometrial lining.
- Improve sperm: Separate studies have shown that acupuncture can increase sperm count and sperm motility.
- Prevent miscarriage: Particular herbal formulas and acupuncture treatments are known to help support a growing embryo and reduce the chances of a miscarriage.
Angea’s IVF Acupuncture Support Program takes an integrative approach to fertility. It works with your body and your IVF cycles, and uses a research-based methodology that has been scientifically proven to increase your chances of pregnancy.